Ryan Lochte and Melissa Franklin were named male and female Swimmers of the Year for 2011 at USA Swimming's Golden Goggles Awards
Ryan Lochte and Melissa Franklin were named male and female Swimmers of the Year for 2011 at USA Swimming's Golden Goggles Awards in Los Angeles on Sunday.
Lochte, 27, won 4 golds at the world cahmpionships in July and set the first world long-course record since the ban of polyurethane swim suits in the 200 metres individual medley.
Franklin, 16, won five medals at last Worlds including a gold in the 200m backstroke.
Other winners were:
- Breakout Performer of the Year: Alex Meyer
- Perseverance Award: Peter Vanderkaay
- Coach of the Year: Gregg Troy
- Relay Performance of the Year: Women's 4x100-meter medley relay with Natalie Coughlin, Rebecca Soni, Dana Vollmer and Missy Franklin
- Female Race of the Year: Missy Franklin, 200-meter backstroke
- Male Race of the Year: Ryan Lochte, 200-meter individual medley